The laws of gravity tell us that what comes up must also come down. Sadly, the same can be said of your skin. As you get older, skin may begin to sag as a result of a natural loss and deterioration of collagen and elastin — two proteins found in the lower layers of skin that provide the foundation of skin’s tautness and elasticity.
The most common cause of sagging skin is aging. As we age, the collagen and elasti, skin’s supportive connective tissue that make it look soft, plump and youthful weakens, causing a decrease in skin’s density and resilience. Skin becomes less firm and less able to retain its shape as effectively as when you were young. Facial muscles can weaken with age, which takes a toll too. This can be counteracted with a regular skincare routine.
As a result, looser skin starts to sag.
Although deterioration of collagen and elastin is a natural part of the aging process, it will happen earlier and faster if your skin is sun-damaged.
How to Prevent and Tighten Sagging Skin
- Use sunscreen. Because UV damage speeds ups the loss of firmness, wearing a moisturizer with a broad spectrum sunscreen on a daily basis is the easiest way to help prevent sagging.
- Strongly recommended: Lanelle Sunblock Cream
- Moisturize Smartly. If your skin is just beginning to lose tone, a moisturizer can be a good first step in the search for younger-looking skin. Applying a moisturizer with vitamins C and E both morning and night will also help. These antioxidants can help absorb surface free radicals that can also lead to the loss of collagen and elastin.
- Hydrate skin. Staying hydrated is another way to keep skin from having a dry, droopy appearance. Hydrated skin is naturally fuller and massaging the moisturizer into skin in a circular motion will improve circulation to give a temporary plumping effect to your skin. Using anti-aging serum is very helpful.
- Strongly recommended: Lanelle Luminous Goddess Gel
- Using a moisturizer with SPF and keeping skin hydrated are two of the most important things you can do to keep you skin taut and wrinkle-free.
- Taking antioxidant vitamin supplements can also improve your skin’s overall health, which may just make your skin glow.
- Collagen and elastin help keep your skin firm. You may develop sagging skin with age as your skin loses its natural elasticity.
- Physical activity can improve sagging skin, with exercises that tone the muscles beneath your skin.
- Drink plenty of water, exfoliate and moisturize your skin to improve and prevent sagging.
- Weight training can condition, strengthen and tone the muscles under your skin. Exercise such as weight training may improve the appearance of saggy skin by firming up muscles that support your skin.
- Exfoliate your skin in the shower to shed dead skin cells and promote circulation to your skin.
Lifestyle can make or break your skin. Make it right. Stay firm!
Bless and be blessed!