BB creams are short for beauty balms or blemish balms. They were first developed in Germany by a dermatologist who wanted a single cream that would protect skin and provide coverage after laser treatments.
The all-in-one formulation became a sensation in South Korea and then spread throughout Asia.
What BB Creams Do
Can one beauty product really do it all? Maybe.
Many BB creams offer effective sun protection, with broad-spectrum SPF 30 or higher, sun protection required for everyday use. What’s more, BB creams generally contain zinc oxide or titanium oxide, physical sunblocks that have some built-in water-resistant properties.
When it comes to skin treatment, you can find BB creams that contain:
• Anti-aging components, including peptides and antioxidants such as vitamins A, E, and C
• Moisturizing workhorses like hyaluronic acid and glycerin
• Ingredients such as licorice and arbutin that help even out skin tone
• Light-reflecting mica to give skin a luminous finish
• Silicone-based ingredients, such as dimethicone, that help smooth the skin, acting much like a foundation primer does.
Finding a BB cream that matches the color of your skin perfectly can also be a challenge. BB creams tend to come in a small range of shades — usually three to five fair to medium-dark hues — or in a single shade that blends with all skin tones.
If you’re after a low-key look, that BB cream might indeed be all you need to tote for your skin care and beauty needs. It’s also a good solution, for someone who’s very natural and doesn’t like the idea of wearing makeup, but wants to protect her skin and cover up some imperfections.
Best to try: Lanelle BB Miracle Cream: A Beauty Balm that is a high definition tinted moisturizer and all-day make-up foundation that brings out healthy blemish-free facial skin!
Bless and be blessed!